As you are probably aware, the Diocese of Pittsburgh has established the Office for the Protection of Young People. Bishop Bradley, in order to comply with the requirements of the USCCB’s Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, has approved the creation of an on-line centralized database in the diocese. Anyone, including both paid and volunteer staff, on a parish, school or central administration level that has direct contact with minors is required to complete an on-line application that will include a national criminal background check. This is the first step in a four-step process. The other steps include acknowledgement of receipt of the Code of Pastoral Conduct, completion of Protecting God’s Children Training, and receiving a Department of Public Welfare child abuse clearance.
In our school it is vital to have parent-volunteers to support the many programs that are present. These programs include, but are not limited to, athletics, forensics, cafeteria, recess, field trips, Battle of the Books, Math Pentathlon, reading enrichment, etc. Most of these programs could not operate without volunteer services.
For this reason we are requesting that all parents who are in any way considering serving as volunteers in any programs within our school to register in the on-line centralized database. Diocesan policy will prohibit anyone who is not registered to provide service to the school. We will provide more information regarding the other steps in the process in the future. All we are requesting at this time is your on-line registration.
Many parents have already received this information and are registered. All of our professional staff already has registered, as have most of our athletic team coaches. The process will take approximately 20 to 30 minutes to complete. Below is a set of instructions that will help you in the process.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the school office. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Instruction Card to Filers on Centralized Diocesan Database
Ten Easy Steps to Create Your Electronic File
It’s easy to create your file in the Diocesan Database of parish and/or school employees and volunteers who have contact with minors:
- Log on to the website for the Diocese of Pittsburgh at www.diopitt.org
- Scroll-down the left hand side of the home page to the “Diocese of Pittsburgh Database Application” box. Click on this box and it will take you the application login.
- At the top of the login page click on the underlined click here where it says: “If you do not have a user ID and password please click here to register.”
- You will now be at the “New User Registration” screen and all fields under this will require entry except for the email address.
- In the “Primary Site” field, select the entity where you do the majority of your work or ministry. The “Type of Application” requires you to check whether you are an employee or volunteer. The “User ID” field requires that you enter your own password for access to your application. The bottom of this screen explains the requirements of a User ID. The “Password” field is similar, and you will be asked to type it in twice.
- This will take you to the “access code field” where you enter the diocesan password “protect.”
- In the “First Name” and “Last Name” fields, type in your name as it appears on your driver’s license. In the “Date of Birth” field type your date of birth in the mm/dd/yyyy format. You will be asked to type it in twice.
- Write down your User ID and Password for future reference, and click the “Register” button. You should receive a message that you have successfully registered.
- Then, click on the underlined link where it says, “Please click here to login and continue your application.”
- At the Login Page enter your User ID and Password, and click “Login.” This will take you to the “Application Screen” for you to fill out your application.